Ascorbic acid is a very common form of vitamin C that usually appears in food. It is considered as one of the best anti-aging ingredients on the market and the key to maintaining a smooth, even, and glowy complexions.
Here are some benefits that Vitamin C will bring to our skin:
- Brightening: Ascorbic acid can help to fade away pigmentation (including freckles, sunspot, age spots and more), and smooth the surface of your skin to reduce dullness, which help to achieve a youthful and glowy complexions.
- Collagen promotion: Ascorbic acid can boost up collagen production, which will help to induce fine lines and wrinkles, as well as to firm up your skin and to prevent sagging.
- Protect against sun damage: The antioxidants in ascorbic acid may help defend against the damage that UV light can cause. However, it CANNOT replace sunscreen or SPF, it can just decrease the harm of UV rays when it enters your skin
- Diminish scars: Ascorbic acid can help to reduce appearance of surgical scars.
- Fight against free radical: Ascorbic acid is a potent antioxidant that can neutralize free radical, which can prevent the collagen level of your skin to diminish.
- Antioxidant: Because of the antioxidant in Ascorbic acid, it can help with damaged skin cells repairment.
Generally, Ascorbic acid and Vitamin C are a safe ingredient to use, however people with sensitive skin might experience some side effects when including ascorbic acid into their skincare, this includes, itching, redness, skin irritation, or tingling sensation. Some might even experience swelling or hives, if that happens, they should wash off the skincare immediately to prevent further irritation.